make run/printf in the 14.05 version

Norman Feske norman.feske at ...1...
Sat May 31 04:24:45 CEST 2014

Hi Bob,

thank you for posting the verbose output.

It appears as if the run tool is started without the proper platform
environment. Normally, two '--include' arguments are passed to the run
tool. The first is the platform-specific run environment (i.e.,
base-hw/run/env), and the second is the actual run script
(base/run/printf.run).

> **/Work/Genode/genode-14.05/tool/run --genode-dir
> /Work/Genode/genode-14.05 \**
> **                                     --name printf \**
> **                                     --specs "genode hw_bbb" \**
> **                                     --repositories
> "/Work/Genode/genode-14.05/repos/base /Work/Genode/genode-14.05/repos/os
> /Work/Genode/genode-14.05/repos/demo
> /Work/Genode/genode-14.05/repos/libports
> /Work/Genode/genode-14.05/repos/dde_linux" \**
> **                                     --cross-dev-prefix "" \**
> **                                     --qemu-args "" \**
> **                                     --include   \**
> **                                     --include
> /Work/Genode/genode-14.05/repos/base/run/printf.run**

Because there is nothing specified as value for the first '--include'
argument, the run tool interprets the second '--include' tag as value
for the first '--include' argument. So we need to find out why the
top-level Makefile of the build-system fails to specify a sensible run
environment.

Since you are using your custom platform (bbb), I guess that you have
not not applied and adjusted all of your changes related to the
create_builddir tool to the new version. I suppose that your changes
include an added file named 'tool/builddir/etc/build.conf.hw_bbb'. In
line with the other hw plaforms, I would expect it to have the following
content:

  REPOSITORIES += $(GENODE_DIR)/repos/base-hw

In the old version, the path name is different (the "repos/" path
element wasn't there). Maybe you missed to update the path when going
from the old to the new version?

For reference, have you already tried to see how one of the regular
platforms (like 'hw_pbxa9') works?