Management of ported 3rd-party software

Norman Feske norman.feske at ...1...
Tue May 20 09:51:54 CEST 2014

Hello,

I just added a few more fixup commits to the staging branch:

  https://github.com/genodelabs/genode/commits/staging

* Apparently, there are some versions of sha1sum that expect
  exactly two space characters between the hashsum and the filename
  when performing the check (using -c as argument). I had to adjust
  the prepare_port tool to generate this format.

* I was asked by Martin Stein why I picked <finger-print>-<port-name>
  as the name of the port directory. Putting the port name at the
  beginning of the name would be more convenient when listing the
  content of the contrib/ dir. There was actually no particular reason.
  So I changed the order. Thanks for the good suggestion!

On 05/19/2014 01:48 PM, Sartakov A. Vasily wrote:
> Hello.
>
>>> Maybe I had to say this early, but: We, and Maybe someone else,
>>> have own repository with packages. We can/would not merge it
>>> with main branch of Genode. We have used directory in root
>>> Genode source tree, like dde_linux, before. So, how third party
>>> repos should look like in new directory layout?
>>
>> there are two possible solutions.
>>
>> First, you could place your own Git repository at
>> '<genode-dir>/repos/'. E.g., 'repos/ksyslabs.git'. (it might be
>> useful to add repos/*.git to the .gitignore file of Genode) Your
>> repository will be automatically scanned for ports.
>>
>> Alternatively, you may place your repository at any arbitrary
>> place and just create a symlink at
>> <genode-dir>/src/repos/ksyslabs pointing to
>> /your/place/of/choice. To support the symlink variant, I have
>> just added a small fixup commit to the staging branch.
>>
>> Does that solve your problem?
>
> I think yes. Thank you. I will tell which way we will choose
> later.

- --