Docker app containers for Genode?

Peter Lindener lindener.peter at ...9...
Tue May 13 02:35:57 CEST 2014

Hi
    Norman-

    I did a little more reading about Docker, what it is, and how it might
possibly relate in some way to Genode's
API, package management, Linux like API, etc.

   Here are some fairly good links:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Docker_(software)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LXC
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cgroups

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/16047306/how-is-docker-io-different-from-a-normal-virtual-machine

http://www.centurylinklabs.com/what-is-docker-and-when-to-use-it/

https://www.scriptrock.com/articles/docker-vs-vagrant/

   It seems like Genode's embrace of VirtualBox  syncs up well with how
Docker potentially relates to Vagrant as mentioned in the last of these
links...

   Docker's longer term ambition to run on close to bear metal... seems
like it's packaging capabilities could eventually be tailored towards
Genode's eventual base API....   Then in the mean time, since right now
Docker seems to revolve around the Ubuntu Server core API...   Providing a
Docker server via VertualBox/Ubuntu might be good place to start...

   That said, I'm still attempting to wrap my head around how Docker might
eventually come to provide a unifyed package management for the Genode OS..

    Any one else have some thoughts here?

    all the best
      -Peter