Changed directory layout

Norman Feske norman.feske at ...1...
Wed May 7 12:06:42 CEST 2014

Hello,

as discussed in the issue "Source-code package management" [1], I
changed the directory layout of Genode's source tree in the staging
branch [2].

[1] https://github.com/genodelabs/genode/issues/1082
[2] https://github.com/genodelabs/genode/tree/staging

All source-code repositories that formerly resided at the top level of
the tree have been moved to the 'repos/' subdirectory.

Changing the top-level directory layout raises the question of how to
rebase existing topic branches on top of the new version. Fortunately,
at least in a few cherry-picking experiments I did, git dealt very well
with the situation. Still, we should pay special care with merging topic
branches into mainline now.

The new source-tree layout has the nice benefit that I could make the
BUILD_DIR argument of the create_builddir tool optional. If no BUILD_DIR
argument is supplied, the tool will create the build directory at
'<genode-dir>/build/<platform>'. It would be worthwhile to revisit our
documentation to simplify the steps to create build directories.

I hope the transition to the new new directory layout will be free of
major trouble. If you have strong concerns, now (as the patch is not yet
in the master branch) is the time to raise them. ;-)