Booting genode/nova

Wolfgang Schmidt wolfgang.schmidt at ...243...
Thu May 1 18:07:47 CEST 2014

Hi,

I think I'm a step further.

I have done the following so far.

I have created a nova environment where run/demo works and opens a qemu
environment (now without stalling).

To make it boot directly i used the following.

The OS (Ubuntu12.04 with latest patches) has no grub like in
http://genode.org/documentation/platforms/nova , but grub2

I created in /boot a directory genode and copied
/var/run/demo/ hypervisor -> /boot/genode
/var/run/demo/* -> /boot/genode

In /etc/grub.d I created a boot entry
file 42_genode:
#!/bin/sh
cat << EOF
menuentry "Genode" {
    insmod ext3
    multiboot /genode/hypervisor iommu serial
    module /genode/core
    module /genode/config config
    module /genode/init init
     module /genode/timer timer
    module /genode/nitpicker nitpicker
    module /genode/liquid_fb liquid_fb
    module /genode/launchpad launchpad
    module /genode/scout scout
    module /genode/testnit testnit
    module /genode/nitlog nitlog
    module /genode/pci_drv pci_drv
    module /genode/ps2_drv ps2_drv
    module /genode/fb_drv fb_drv
}

afterwards I run 'sudo update-grub' and restarted the system.

I found the new entry Genode in the boot menu and selected it.

First it showed :
>file not found
afterwards shortly the nova bootline (i5) and then the genode demo screen.

The following problems occured:
- On top of the window a blank black line appeared.
- A Launchpad is shown - but with only Quota shown ( I attached a
screenshot - that displays it more easy. )
- No cursor appears.

I checked the /boot/genode subdirectory.

There all files which are set in the 42_genode boot entry are available.

Is there a hint or a debug output to see what happens during boot?

If the grub2 menuentry is correct, maybe you could add it to
http://genode.org/documentation/platforms/nova  as the suggested ubuntu on
the page supports grub2 out of the box?

Is there something missing?

Best regards,