No display for running framebuffer.run

Aditya Kousik adit267.kousik at ...9...
Wed Mar 12 13:10:03 CET 2014

Hi Stefan,

On 12 Mar 2014 16:47, "Stefan Kalkowski" <stefan.kalkowski at ...1...>
wrote:

> Hi Aditya,
>
> the framebuffer driver for Freescale's IPUv3 device is expected to work
> out of the box when using the i.MX53 SABRE tablet, as well as the i.MX53
> Quickstart Board. Both configurations work with statically assigned
> resolutions.
>
> To let it work on your concrete i.MX6 board, you've to adapt the driver
> code to use appropriated DMA channels, correct timings, as well as an
> appropriated resolution. Moreover, typically you've to do something to
> enable the display, like GPIO + IOMUX controller routings, which is done
> for the mentioned boards in the platform driver of Genode.

Yes, even I'm using the Linux and u-boot driver routines as base. And your
exquisite version for the i.mx53 as reference. The initialisation routine
for i.mx6 though similar, is not entirely same. The CCM defs and protocols
are a bit different since I.MX6 has two IPU units.

> I'm afraid, I can't help you with an easy way to debug it. When doing
> the same work for e.g. the SABRE tablet, I've traced the available Linux
> driver to find out, what needs to be done in general. I'm afraid the
> documentation, although substantial with respect to register
> definitions, isn't sufficient to build it from scratch.

And as far as IOMUXC+GPIO pads are concerned, we've written a macro that
sets the display on (though it's unclear as to which pin to set to do
that). We first wrote the macro in the driver space itself, but Genode's
excellent RM service threw a faulted error. So as a ready-reckoner, put the
code at kernel level. No positive result, unfortunately.

> Of course there are other run scripts that make use of the framebuffer,
> like for instance 'os/run/demo.run'.
>
> Regards
> Stefan

Can you shed some light on why the following exception is thrown? "C++
runtime: Genode::Parent::Service_denied". I tried running the nitpicker
test directly and the service goes to abort() from the boot_modules.

Best,
Aditya.