Question about the flow control in genode

Mon Jun 16 10:15:58 CEST 2014

Hi,

On 06/15/2014 12:45 PM, li94575 wrote:
> Hello,
> Recently, I was learning genode about  the RPC process, and found that
> genode provides flow control policy between partitions by
> routing communication mechanism.  I was wondering if I can achieve such
> a flow control policy in a partition (or process), which uses threads as
> the subject?  If this is possible, how should I do?

Not sure, whether I understood your question correctly:

Although, having different routings for threads of the same protection
domain is possible in general, there is no protection mechanism between
them. Theoretically it is possible to distinguish different threads
asking for a session, as long as they use different session arguments
when asking their parent. But from the parent's view: you can't
authenticate the different threads, you simply see different session
arguments. Moreover, you can't control whether that session is solely
used by the thread that opened the session. A thread can simply
cross-reference each session of another one in the same protection
domain. So there is no flow control possible. In fact mostly threads are
sharing the same sessions. In some cases you might want thread-specific
sessions (e.g.: a timer session per thread, SMP issues, etc.).

As the name suggests 'protection domains' are the only subjects that
matter regarding flow control.

Regards
Stefan