TrustZone on i.MX53 QSB

Tue Jul 1 18:03:04 CEST 2014

Hi Daeyoung Kim,

On 06/23/2014 11:18 PM, Daeyoung Kim wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I have two questions during testing the tz_vmm on i.MX53 QSB.
>
> 1. I want to set up the TrustZone environment like switching between SW and
> NW on Android in NW on top of Genode in SW, but don't know what I should do
> exactly. Do you have any manual or advice for this? Which part should I
> look into?

I assume you want to reproduce the same demo scenario we presented on
the i.MX53 SABRE Tablet in this video [1]? If this is the case, you've
first to develop an input driver for the touchscreen of the  i.MX53
Quickstart Board, which is in contrast to the SABRE Tablet not yet
available. The whole setup, as well as how to reproduce that scenario on
the SABRE tablet can you read in this article [2].
If you've more specific questions regarding the scenario, feel free to
ask them.

[1] http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=voFV1W4yyY8
[2] http://genode.org/documentation/articles/trustzone

> 2. How can I test switching the two worlds on the tz_vmm?

If you run the automated run test 'tz_vmm' that can be found in Genode's
mainline repository, you don't have to do anything to test the world
switch, the test is fully automatic, and if it succeeds the world switch
worked perfectly. That test is not meant for demonstration purposes to
switch manually between one world and the other, but it starts a Genode
system including a TrustZone "normal world monitor", which boots a Linux
kernel giving it access to almost all hardware resources e.g.: Ethernet
card, and serial line. The Linux kernel boots till the end, and the
automated run script instructs Linux' command prompt to access Genode's
website via 'wget'. If the page was loaded correctly, the test succeeds.
During this process a lot of world-switches between the secure world
(Genode), and the normal world (Linux)
occur, e.g.: each time a timer interrupt used by the scheduler of
Genode's hw-kernel occurs.
Of course you can extend the 'tz_vmm' run script to start more
applications on the Genode side to see that part in action in parallel.

Regards
Stefan