compiling l4linux for x86_64

Norman Feske norman.feske at ...1...
Sun Jun 30 13:57:29 CEST 2013

Hello Rudolf,

thank you for your report. The feedback is very much appreciated.

> 1)  in the builddir I call simply
>          make run/l4linux
>     and an error in dde_ipxe happend, that the "compiler.h" is not found.
>      Solution: in dde_ipxe have to be called:
>              make prepare
>      ==> I suggest politely to add this
> hint in http://www.genode.org/documentation/platforms/foc (and the README)
>           since the README suggested to add the repository for dde_ipxe

I just followed your suggestion:

https://github.com/genodelabs/genode/commit/9bff8c454a86ed9fc878056e9e0b9a66b790489f

Btw, the missing (our outdated) preparation of repositories seems to be
a recurring problem. I am currently investigating a good way to detect
unprepared or outdated repositories automatically by the build system,
which will hopefully solve this class of problems in the future.

> 2) the
>      make run/l4linux
>    returns to errors, because the l4linux binary is not found.
>    The problem is, that l4linux is not available for x86_64
>
> (This is no problem, I just want to document why it is not working.)

Putting an assertion right at the beginning of the L4Linux run scripts
will hopefully avoid this problem:

https://github.com/genodelabs/genode/commit/2045fffe2a288bdf16cdc4dc48afc051577d49c5

Both patches will be merged in genodelabs/master soon.

Thanks