L4 bootstrap console output issue

Alexander Boettcher alexander.boettcher at ...1...
Thu Jun 20 09:25:56 CEST 2013

Hello,

On 19.06.2013 17:35, Daniel Waddington wrote:
> Hi,
> I recently changed to using the Fiasco.OC source from Genode.  I have
> just noticed problems with the bootstrap not outputting to the console
> on certain machines.  The h/w is checked as ok, and if we replace
> bootstrap with r56 version from TU Dresden then everything is ok.
>
> Are there some Genode-specific changes to bootstrap on r46?

Do you maybe referring to r47 ? For this branch a commit was added to
read out the Bios Data Area and looking the I/O ports of the first
serial device [0] reported by the Bios.

If you boot with 'bender' before bootstrap (which is the case for the
pulsar configs generated by the Genode run scripts) then in the BDA
'bender' will write the i/o ports of the first PCI device implementing
serial output support.

If you just use 'bootstrap' with the above commit the values of the Bios
of the PC will be taken if there are any. If the values are bogus for
some reason, then it could explain your observation. For such machines
you may want to use the "-comport" option of bootstrap and use some
default values like 0x3f8.

Cheers,

Alex.

[0]