Nova 32 bits on older Pentium 4 computer.

Christian Helmuth christian.helmuth at ...1...
Tue Jan 22 08:32:50 CET 2013

Hi Paul,

On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 01:48:27AM -0500, Paul Dufresne wrote:
> I would expect Genode to stop using -nographic with QEMU, and use the
> screen rather than the serial line... supposing that my hypothesis
> about what is going on is right.

Genode uses serial line for PDBG() and friends per default. Many of
our demos, scenarios, or even test cases use the screen often
switching the graphics card from VGA text into flat framebuffer modes.
In this case, all debug messages would be lost for humans and also our
run-script-based automatic testing. You may see PDBG(), which uses
Genode's LOG session as an equivalent to Linux's syslog in the
simplest case. The LOG session is implemented by core, which uses a
simple builtin UART driver or kernel debugger facilities depending on
the platform used.

On the other hand, the LOG session can also be implemented by servers
and a parent (e.g., init) can route a child's request for LOG to that
server. Example LOG providers are

* demo/src/server/nitlog       opens a nitpicker window for LOG messages
* os/src/server/terminal_log   redirects LOG messages to a Terminal

Please refer to the following run scripts

* os/run/demo.run
* gems/run/terminal_log.run
* ports-foc/run/two_linux.run (only on Fiasco.OC)

Christian Helmuth