Tested run/demo on nova: liquid_fb tried to call an invalid object

Paul Dufresne dufresnep at ...9...
Sat Jan 19 05:27:40 CET 2013

Ok, so I burn my var/run/demo.iso file from my build directory (8 MB,
impressively small!) to a CD and tried it.

My big surprise when I ran it on my computer was to hear the 56k modem
call a number.
I heard the operator voice, so that I know it did not join it's
destination fine.
I first tought that the log output was going to COM1 serial port, and
that somehow it had to have some "ATDT some-number in it" which now
seems unbelievable to be just a coincidence.

I guess either Nova or Genode is setup to make a phone call.
Anyway...

I was happy to see that the disk was working fine on my computer.
I was not sure it would work, my CPU not having virtualization support
as far as I know:
paul at ...162...:~/Bureau/genode-master/build.nova$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor	: 0
vendor_id	: GenuineIntel
cpu family	: 15
model		: 4
model name	: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.66GHz
stepping	: 9
microcode	: 0x3
cpu MHz		: 2666.790
cache size	: 256 KB
fpu		: yes
fpu_exception	: yes
cpuid level	: 5
wp		: yes
flags		: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov
pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx
lm constant_tsc up pebs bts nopl pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl tm2 cid
cx16 xtpr lahf_lm
bogomips	: 5333.58
clflush size	: 64
cache_alignment	: 128
address sizes	: 36 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
power management:
paul at ...162...:~/Bureau/genode-master/build.nova$

I've seen that the "tried to call an invalid object:" problem does not
happen always with liquid_fb. This message aso happen with nitpick
(which does not seems to show anything).
The invalid signal-context capability error did not come back.

I tried the CD in my Pentium-4 computer.
It was rebooting in loop as soon as Grub did finish loading each modules.
I guess I was expecting it more or less.
I think Genode 64 bits was build for Nova, and the Pentium 4 does not
support 64 bits.

It's fun to see such a small CD image doing so much!