make -C build.nova-x86_64 run/demo results in -no-kvm option

Norman Feske norman.feske at ...1...
Fri Jan 18 21:49:04 CET 2013

Hello,

> spawn qemu-system-x86_64 -no-kvm -cpu core2duo -m 256 -serial
> mon:stdio -cdrom var/run/demo.iso
> qemu-system-x86_64: -no-kvm: invalid option
>
> I'm currently running centos 6 as a remote server and doing the builds
> there and initially I didn't have qemu-system available on it. It took
> me a while to locate an rpm (in rpmforge-extras) that had
> qemu-system_x86_64 - however it does not recognise the -no-kvm command
> line option.

you just hit a pretty inconvenient inconsistency regarding the naming of
Qemu or respectively KVM as shipped on different Linux distributions. On
Ubuntu, the executable that is called qemu is actually KVM. Because KVM
has known problems with handling most of the microkernels used by
Genode, we supply this option to explicitly disable KVM. Apparently,
your distribution seems to actually ship a Qemu binary named qemu. Qemu,
however, does not know about such an option.

You can prevent the Genode tools from passing this argument to qemu by
editing the '<build-dir>/etc/build.conf' file. Please remove the
following line:

  QEMU_OPT += -no-kvm

You are actually not the first one stumbling over this issue. There is a
discussion (but no conclusion) about possible improvements here:

  https://github.com/genodelabs/genode/issues/500

Using Ubuntu as a Genode development environment is certainly the
easiest way to avoid problems like that because most of the regular
Genode developers use some flavor of Debian or Ubuntu. So you would walk
on tested ground. Personally, I use the minimal install version of
Ubuntu (the one that comes without an X server) and just installed a few
additional packages (such as Xorg and a plain window manager, but no
desktop environment).