Genode Clarification Please

Markus Partheymueller mail at ...119...
Sat Dec 14 00:53:49 CET 2013

Hi,

my take on it: Genode is an operating system _based_ on microkernels. Just
as Linux is not the operating system, but rather the kernel which then gets
supplemented by user-level applications to form an operating system. Genode
provides those services, but does not only support one API, but several
ones. In addition to the platforms you mentioned (NOVA, Fiasco, Linux, ...)
they developed a small internal kernel to support several ARM systems
without the need for an external kernel. I'm sure the maintainers can give
you a deeper insight into why this was done.

Don't confuse virtualization with the use of an underlying kernel, though.
With Genode/NOVA, the microhypervisor actually acts as a microkernel with
additional support for running virtual machines with hardware support
_within_ Genode.

Hope that helps,

Cheers

Markus