"Could not allocate metadata" error msg

Norman Feske norman.feske at ...1...
Tue Apr 23 12:50:57 CEST 2013

Hello Jilong,

thanks for describing your scenario in more detail. Apparently, the
whole issue is actually not an issue at all because of the message
"[init->P1] upgrading quota donation for Env::RAM session". To get a
grasp what is going on, you will need to understand the quota concept of
Genode more thoroughly.

Let me draw an analogy first. Imagine starting a small company that
outsources its accounting work to a bookkeeping service company. You
entrust the bookkeeper to track the records of all your financial
transactions and even grant him access to your bank account. So for
paying an invoice, you can conveniently send over the invoice with a
short notice to the bookkeeper and he will take care of issuing the bank
transaction within the due day of payment. It will also record the
transaction in your books. Of course, for doing this work, the
bookkeeper needs resources such as allowances, sheets of paper, ink, or
coffee to stay awake while doing the boring paperwork. He gets paid
according to a contract with you. Now, imagine that your business starts
to take off, resulting in a huge amount of individual transactions
reported to the bookkeeper. This will inevitably increase the work and
expenditures of the bookkeeper. Even though he has your bank account's
credentials, he will obviously not withdraw those costs from your bank
account at his own discretion. Instead, he will give you a call to
re-negotiate his terms.

How does this scenario relate to Genode? Core's RAM service plays the
role of such a bookkeeper. Once a process has opened an account at the
RAM service (by creating a RAM session at core), the RAM service keeps
track of the RAM budget and all the RAM allocations withdrawn from the
account. To keep those records, the RAM service needs a bit of RAM to
cover its expenditures. This RAM is explicitly provided by the client by
lending a bit of its RAM quota to the RAM service at session-creation
time (the initial contract). The default amount of RAM attributed for
the expenditures can be found in the 'Ram_connection' class:

https://github.com/genodelabs/genode/blob/master/base/include/ram_session/connection.h

64 KiB seem to be enough for a usual process. Please note that the RAM
session for a process is not created by the process itself. It is
created by its parent. If a process allocates an unusually high amount
of RAM dataspaces, the 64 KiB won't be enough to hold all the records.
So the RAM service will at some point throw an 'Out_of_metadata'
exception, thereby signalling to the client that it's time to
re-negotiate the terms. A normal Genode process will respond to such an
exception by upgrading the terms. You can find the corresponding code at:

https://github.com/genodelabs/genode/blob/master/base/src/base/env/platform_env.h

The 'Expanding_ram_session_client' will receive the call from the
bookkeeper about the unexpectedly increased costs for bookkeeping, print
the message "upgrading quota donation for Env::RAM session" and send
over another 8 KiB to make the bookkeeper happy.

When speaking of the RAM quota of a process, we refer to the budget of
RAM of a process (like the balance on a bank account), assigned by its
parent. E.g., when a process is created by the init process, the
'config' file tells the init process how to distribute init's own budget
among its children.

When opening a session to a service, an initial payment of the service
is performed. The terms of the "contract" between the client and the
server are typically represented by the corresponding 'Connection'
class. By calling the 'Parent::upgrade' function, a process requests its
parent to increase the payment for a service (the RAM service is just
one of those) after session-creation time. In both situations session
creation and session upgrade, the parent will withdraw the specified
amount from the budget of the client and transfer it to the server.

In short, your fix is not necessary because the
'Expanding_ram_session_client' already responds to the situation where
core prints the "Could not allocate metadata" message. This message is
not an error. In principle, we could remove the message. But in some
situations where the client does not respond to such a condition in a
meaningful way, this diagnostic message used to guide us to the problem.
So we kept it. Sorry for the confusion!

> process in Genode initially. In my upgrade() statement, I give 32M to
> each process.

That should not be needed. Genode's RAM service will hopefully never
ever require 32 MiB for bookkeeping. ;-)

I hope that I could demystify the concept of Genode's RAM quotas a bit.