Non-existing service tolerance

Norman Feske norman.feske at ...1...
Thu Oct 11 17:05:22 CEST 2012

Hi Markus,

let me add my opinion on the topic. Even though it is possible to probe
for the existence of sessions as currently done by L4Linux, I think that
this approach is ill-fated and should not be taken as blue print.
Putting such "intelligence" in a component is violating the principle of
least surprise because the component will behave differently in two
different scenarios even if the same config is used.

Having such built-in heuristics does mix mechanisms (the functionality
of the component) and policy. On Genode, we generally aim to keep policy
separated from mechanisms. The purpose of a component is to provide a
mechanism only. The policy should solely be provided by the parent (and
implicitly the grandparent etc.).

I think that the ultimate approach is to let the parent specify the
desired behaviour in the config file supplied to the component instead
of implementing any policy (such as probing) in the component. Fetching
an argument from the config file is easy enough.