Non-existing service tolerance

Markus Partheymueller mail at ...119...
Thu Oct 11 13:00:32 CEST 2012

Hi Folks,

I recently stumbled across an issue when connecting to a service that
is non-essential for the child. Currently, the connection attempt,
although surrounded by a try-catch block, leads to an abort call by
init. While this seems logical for essential services, it is not
intended for service connections that are optional. I'd rather that
one could try to connect to the service and react to a failure of this
attempt in a way the client has to define. If the client can live
without the service, it should be allowed to carry on. In my opinion,
this decision should be up to the client, not to the service framework
of genode.

Is there any chance to find out if a service exists without getting
aborted? Any hint would be appreciated.

Cheers

Markus