Trouble porting linux driver to DDE Kit

Alexander Tarasikov alexander.tarasikov at ...9...
Fri Oct 5 14:23:38 CEST 2012

2012/10/5 Norman Feske <norman.feske at ...1...>

> Hi Alexander,
>
> welcome to the mailing list!
>
> After reading your email, my first intention would be to check the GPIO
> configuration of the Pandaboard.

Hi! I will recheck the GPIO configuration. I forgot to mention in the
previous
letter that I have tried stripping down linux to minimum, commenting out
all clock, gpiomux and i2c initialization, and it still worked - I assume
uboot did
enough to init it.

Sorry, I have not studied the whole source code yet, but I have the
impression
that after mapping memory via attaching mmio dataspace via rm reading
registers by the pointer and via Register c++ template class gives
different results.
I had the trouble - my I2C driver from uboot didn't work when I just mapped
the memory,
but Ivan Loskutov has reworked it to use the Register class and it worked
from now on.

Could you tell if I'm digging in the correct direction? I think both IO
memory and
buffers must be mapped uncached, unbuffered via arm mmu, but, again, I've
not
yet read all the code of genode and fiasco.

> As another note, I have the impression that OTG is actutally unrelated
> to the existing USB device driver. It is different device. Is this
> correct? If yes, wouldn't it be sensible to put the OTG driver into a
> separate driver component instead of co-locating it with the existing
> USB driver? This would avoid the complexities of the existing USB code
> when looking at the OTG issue.

For sure. I would like to introduce several proposals about the design of
BSP
in genode later. I want to have hardware working and then factor out common
code.

If you're interested, here is what I suggest (and want to do later),
but I'm planning to write a more detailed blog entry later and keep you
updated.
 * replacing most panda stuff with omap4 name
 (i.e., move headers from include/board/panda to include/cpu/omap4)
 * Implementing abstractions for various device classes (like, gpio,
voltage regulator,
 led in linux, but in C++)
 * splitting dde kit's common stuff (lx_emul, platform) and usb driver.
Ideally, it should
 be easy to add new drivers to the makefile and build each linux driver as
a standalone binary

--
Regards, Alexander