mke2fs freezes with device-mapper device

Fri Nov 23 09:51:39 CET 2012

Hi,

thanks for detailed bug report. The problem isn't located in L4Linux nor
in its block driver, but in the ATAPI driver. The creation of an EXT
filesystem resulted in: the Linux kernel requesting a lot of blocks at
once from the ATAPI driver. When the driver initiated DMA operations, it
doesn't respect the limit of blocks that is possible to transfer via
DMA. Thereby, the driver stucked when getting no further interrupts, and
the Linux block-layer stucked too.

I've described this behaviour in an issue in our issue-tracker:

  https://github.com/genodelabs/genode/issues/514

To solve the problem, you might try the following patch:

https://github.com/genodelabs/genode/commit/1ab32273d25646c33a69b469e8756ed784918bf0.patch

or use the staging branch of the Genode repository.

Regards
Stefan