Google Summer of Code 2012

Taru Karttunen taruti at ...102...
Fri Mar 2 10:26:03 CET 2012

On Wed, 29 Feb 2012 16:00:10 +0100, Stefan Kalkowski <stefan.kalkowski at ...1...> wrote:
> On 29.02.2012 13:23, Norman Feske wrote:
> > So what do you think? Do you agree that GSoC participation is a good
> > idea? Are you interested in playing a role in it, as mentor, or student
> > participant? I would be glad about feedback from you.

I might be tempted to apply as a student to GSoC for Genode.

> And what about building a "Go" runtime for Genode, or is that to much
> bootlicking ;-)

That is actually quite feasible. The hard issue is interfacing with
Genode specific interfaces done in C++ since there is little support for
C++ integration in Go. But porting the basic runtime should be fairly
easy.

There are two runtimes the gccgo one which requires libpthreads for
goroutines and the gc one which is more popular but also more
eccentric.

There are ports of the gccgo runtime to L4 side of things by Daniel
Mueller and myself, and I have done some porting of gc to Plan9.

If one needs just a higher level language on top of Genode then using
Lua is trivial (if someone wants it please mail me) and there are
multiple solutions to Lua<->C++ interfacing.

Block device encryption is very interesting and important. I think that
especially a solution that would combine logical volume management
(like lvm) with encryption would be interesting. (i.e. different keys
for different logical volumes and also encrypt the metadata).

- Taru Karttunen