Increasing guest memory in Vancouver

Norman Feske norman.feske at ...1...
Thu Jul 19 11:19:11 CEST 2012

Hi Markus,

> I used run/vancouver as starting script, yes. And I noticed that
> increasing to something around 90 MiB works without problems. Going
> beyond that (e.g., 100MiB) strange things happen like page faults
> where there should not be ones, or for example an INT 3 debug
> instruction which seems to "forget" about the parameter it was passed.

I forgot to mention another point that needs to be considered: The link
address of the Vancouver program.

The lower portion of Vancouver's address space corresponds to the
guest-physical memory. This one-to-one relationship is imposed by the
NOVA hypervisor. For this reason, this particular virtual address range
must be kept free from ordinary memory objects (as I outlined in my
reply to Julian's posting). This includes dataspaces attached to
Vancouver's address space but also Vancouver's text, data, and bss
segments. If Vancouver used the default link address used by normal
Genode programs, this invariant would be violated. Therefore, the link
address is explicitly specified in Vancouver's target.mk file.
Currently, it is set to 0x50000000, which might explain your problems.
Can you try to increase this value?