The problem with the Signal service implementation.

ivan.bludov i.bludov at ...60...
Fri Feb 10 15:04:09 CET 2012

Hi,
we have an idea that can flow Genode security system, correct me if we
are wrong. It also can hack signal service. The ideas of
kernel-protected capabilities are interesting, but we think the
implementation of Genode capabilities has some features. Although we
consider only Genode on Fiasco.OC. The Genode::Native_capability could
be considered as two values : the badge(the local_name) and the dst
("the pointer" to the kernel's object). Thus we can use simple structure
Native_capability(valid_dst, any_number_as_badge) as
Signal_context_capability (using static_cap_cast), where valid_dst could
be env()->ram_session_cap().dst(). Then we can pass this obtained
capability as parameter to the Signal_session_client::submit() RPC and
call any arbitrary signal_contexts. Furthermore as we known the
env()->ram_session_cap().dst() points to the Genode main entrypoint then
we can create dummy_client of
Native_capability(env()->ram_session_cap().dst(), any_number_as_badge)
that will call any_rpc. And we think these activities will crush all
Genode system.

addr_t genode_ep = env()->ram_session_cap().dst();
for(long badge = 0;; badge++)
{
     Dummy_client client(Native_capability(genode_ep, badge));
     client.call_dummy_rpc_1();
     client.call_dummy_rpc_k(); // say k>10
}

May be we don't understand Genode and Fiasco.OC completely and you can
explain this behaviour.

Best,
Ivan Bludov.