The problem with the Signal service implementation.

ivan.bludov i.bludov at ...60...
Fri Feb 10 11:39:21 CET 2012

Hi, All.

We were investigating problem of sending big amount of data via network
in Genode on Fiasco.OC. And we have found out some significant bug of
the Genode Signal service implementation and we also could provide the
simple stable solution. As know Packet_stream_rx and Packet_stream_tx
implementations (os/include/packet_stream_*) are based on a Signal
service (signal.lib) and use RPC submit(Signal_context_capability
context) of Genode::Signal_session
(base/include/signla_session/signal_session.h). And this submit RPC is
invoked all the time while RX – TX packet transferring (as the packet
acknowledge). So the problem is that the submit is RPC and according to
RPC implementation all parameters, which are capabilities, are passed by
special way know as capability marshalling/unmarshalling
(base-foc/include/base/ipc.h). And while capability unmarshalling the
new l4_cap_sel is allocated and capabilities are mapped once again all
the time. In the limit all capability table of the l4 task will be
filled completely; especially while intensive packet transferring. And
it damages the Genode Core foremost and provides other troubles. As we
investigated the decision of using the capability in a sense of signal
context is redundant. Signal_session_component::submit uses
Siganl_context_capability only for searching it in the context
entrypoint (base/src/core/signal_session_component.cc). But the same
effect could be achieved by searching signal context by a
badge(local_name()) and then there would not be necessity of capability
unmarshalling. The decision is quote simple to change the
Signal_context_capability typedef from Capability<Signal_context> to
simple int or long type (base/include/signla_session/signal_session.h)
and then to fix all errors generated by compiler. So we think that this
problem of Signal service is significant and has to be fixed as quick as
possible. But of course we'll glad to hear any your remarks about the
decision to use the capability is a sense of Signal_context.

Best,
Ivan Bludov.