live CD + Plan 9

Josef Söntgen josef.soentgen at ...1...
Tue Dec 4 16:51:41 CET 2012

Hello Syd,

> The Plan 9 Operating System was recently ported to the Raspberry Pi
> single-board computer. Meanwhile, Genode now works on the Pandaboard
> single-board computer. Plan 9 is compatable with the Inferno OS, while
> Genode works with other novel OSs. So, have you ever considered
> running the Plan 9 Operating System on Genode? Such multi-porting of
> Plan 9 could act to revitalise this unique OS - and may give Genode a
> wider audience.

running Plan 9 on Genode is certainly a interesting idea but there are no
current plans on our side to approach this - at least in running Plan 9
itself
on top of Genode (as in replacing the kernel with Genode). However if
anyone is
interested in porting 9vx or creating something like L4Plan9 (similar to
L4Linux) to provide a “hosted” Plan 9 environment we would encourage it.
That being said implementing a service for Plan 9 like we did with noux for
POSIX is perhaps also feasible. But than again plan9port might already
run in
noux.

In the end we are more interested in the underlying concept(s) behind/in
Plan 9
than its concrete implementation.

FWIW, being a Plan 9 user myself I put porting drawterm(1) to Genode on my
personal todo-list :-)

Cheers, Josef