live CD + Plan 9

Tyson Key tyson.key at ...9...
Tue Dec 4 12:41:42 CET 2012

Hi Syd,

I can't speak with any authority, but I agree that implementing a Plan 9 application runtime environment/personality on Genode would be an interesting project.

It might be worth noting that a Japanese team have already ported the userland to run on top of an L4 microkernel, and released the result at http://research.nii.ac.jp/H2O/LP49/LP49-e.html.

I don't know what would be necessary to further adapt that work to run on Genode - although I contemplated trying to do so, a few years ago, as part of a project that I was working on.

Tyson.
-----Original Message-----
From: syd bris <syd2bris at ...9...>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2012 00:56:50
To: <genode-main at lists.sourceforge.net>
Subject: live CD + Plan 9

Hi,

When do you think the next live CD demo will be available?

The Plan 9 Operating System was recently ported to the Raspberry Pi
single-board computer. Meanwhile, Genode now works on the Pandaboard
single-board computer. Plan 9 is compatable with the Inferno OS, while
Genode works with other novel OSs. So, have you ever considered
running the Plan 9 Operating System on Genode? Such multi-porting of
Plan 9 could act to revitalise this unique OS - and may give Genode a
wider audience.