error to build Genode for Linux

Norman Feske norman.feske at ...1...
Wed Sep 7 17:11:29 CEST 2011

Hello Truong,

ok, now that makes sense. On Ubuntu 11.04, the includes have moved to
the 'i386-linux-gnu' subdirectory. When compiling components that use
the Linux syscall bindings, we tell the compiler to use the standard
include search locations. This works because the Genode tool chain is
actually a Linux tool chain. However, at the time when the Genode tool
chain was built, those standard include paths did not comprise the
'i386-linux-gnu' subdirectory. So this directory is not searched for
includes.

There is a quick fix and a real fix for this problem. The quick fix is
the patch attached to this email. The patch adds the new include search
location manually to the search paths. Could you please give it a try?
If it works for you, I will commit it to our public SVN. If it does not
work, could you please post the lines of the log preceding the actual
error message?

The real fix would be to use a non-Linux tool chain in the first place
and let the Genode build system handle the include-search paths
explicitly (rather than relying on gcc's built-in heuristics). This is
one topic I am currently working on. I expect that the tool chain will
become part of the next release scheduled for November.

Best regards