Entrypoint in 'Child' class (was Re: Running genode over genode)

Norman Feske norman.feske at ...1...
Sat May 21 19:41:28 CEST 2011

Hi Alexander,

On 05/20/2011 11:56 AM, Kiba Alexandra wrote:
> I'm trying to clear up how Genode service works. As I understand from
> hello_tutorial description on genode.org <http://genode.org> there is a
> magic "Server_entrypoint" object for serving sessions.  But I noticed
> this object being used by Genode::Child too. What's the main idea of
> entrypoint object in Child class?

a 'Server_entrypoint' is always needed if a process wants to dispatch
RPC calls. Obviously this is the case for a server. But this also
applies for each parent process. Such a process provides the 'Parent'
interface (see: 'base/include/parent/parent.h') to each of its children.
The 'Child' class implements this interface on the parent side. In the
simplest case, this entrypoint is only used to dispatch RPC calls to the
parent interface but in other cases, the parent may also provide locally
implemented services via the same entrypoint. Please note that each
child process has a dedicated entrypoint in the parent. So concurrent
(possibly blocking) invokations of the parent interface by multiple
children do not interfere.