Separating native applications and a complete Linux environment on Genode

Magnus Andersson mange at ...72...
Wed May 18 09:55:29 CEST 2011

Hi

I'm looking for a solution for running one or more application (preferably
Qt-apps) on a microkernel and along side of those apps running a complete
Linux environment. The thing is that the Qt-apps can be trusted (i.e
somewhat trusted, since these are built in-house and should not contain any
malicious code) and the Linux environment cannot be trusted since this will
be open for others to develop application for.

My first thought was that I should use a virtualization solution but one of
the requirements are that both all apps should be visible on screen, and
preferably be able to use hardware accelaration.

As I understand you can run both native Qt-apps on the microkernel and also
a Linux environment, but how are they separated? if someone manage, lets
say, a buffer owerflow in Linux how far down the tree will it reach? Can it
break the complete system?

And another question, for the live-cd image you fire up a console (maybe
Busybox), can you give me any hints on how to make it work or do I need to
download it and port it from scratch?

Thanks in advance!

//Magnus