New challenges ahead

Thomas DuBuisson thomas.dubuisson at ...9...
Fri Mar 25 17:11:35 CET 2011

Norman,

This is all informative for you or anyone else reading the list.

* About Me and HaLVM
I'm a PhD student under Andrew Tolmach (original developer of the
HaLVM) and have used HaLVM in the past (but not been involved with its
development).  Our group [1] is working on defining and building a
compiler for the Habit programming language (once called "Systems
Haskell").  Part of that work involves building demo projects, which
will likely be a Habit-HaLVM and part of an L4 kernel.

* About HaLVM and GHC
HaLVM is a series of patches to GHC (mostly the RTS) and supporting
libraries.  It is not upstreamed into GHC head nor does it look like
that will happen.  For this reason, the version of HaLVM always lags
behind GHC (HaLVM is currently based on GHC 6.12.3 where as version
7.0.2 is current).

GHC can not currently usable as a cross compiler, but there is
community interest in this topic [2] (with no momentum).

* About HaLVM and House (and "Linux Kernel Modules in Haskell")
The GHC patches developed for HaLVM remove all dynamic allocation,
assumptions about the existence of a file system, etc.  For this
reason, the same patches were used in the House and Linux module work.
 Not sure how much this matches with the Genode framework (as much as
I've played with installing Genode and associated kernel I never
really looked at the API).

Cheers,
Thomas

[1] http://hasp.cs.pdx.edu/