New challenges ahead

Norman Feske norman.feske at ...1...
Fri Mar 25 09:31:09 CET 2011

Hello Thomas,

the HalVM project was brought to our attention by an anonymous posting
at our Sourceforge forum:

  http://sourceforge.net/projects/genode/forums/forum/825067/topic/3983252

Even though I am not experienced with using Haskell myself, I recognize
the potential of using this language in the context of systems
development. E.g., it plays a pivotal role in the seL4 verification
project at NICTA, and I have been impressed by the work of Mark P. Jones
and his group at OGI/PDX with conducting the House project. We listed
this project idea because we realize that HalVM (or in a broader sense,
Haskell) should receive our attention at some time in the future.

Do you think that porting GHC to Genode is a necessity? I expected that
GHC could just be used to cross-compile code. So only the Haskell
runtime has to be ported. But as I said, I lack profound knowledge in
this area.

Are you somehow involved in the development of HalVM?