Use of malloc primitives in Genode

Amadeo Cuadrado amadeo.c at ...58...
Tue Mar 15 21:27:22 CET 2011

Thanks Stefan for your answer.

Would it be possible to statically link libc into my project?

Amadeo

-----Original Message-----
From: Stefan Kalkowski [mailto:stefan.kalkowski at ...1...]
Sent: Tuesday, March 15, 2011 1:16 PM
To: genode-main at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: Use of malloc primitives in Genode

Hello Amadeo,

if you really want to use stdlib's malloc and free, you'll have to link
against our 'libc'. The 'mini_c' library you've choosen doesn't provide
malloc/free. It's just a small dummy library for the png-library in our
demo-repository, that provides a few string-handling functions.

If you only need malloc/free without additional libc functionality,
there is a simple implementation in our C++ support-library in:

base/src/base/cxx/malloc_free.cc

which uses the heap-allocator from Genode's base environment. To not
clash with the definition of e.g. the implementation in the 'libc' both
symbols are hidden after linking the C++ support library, so you cannot
use it directly, but it might help you as a starting point, if you don't
want to link against whole 'libc'.

Regards
Stefan

On 03/15/2011 08:53 PM, Amadeo Cuadrado wrote:
> Hello,
>

> When I try to build the app below in Genode, the following linking error
> happens:
>

> main.o: In function `main':
>
> .../main.cc:6: undefined reference to `malloc(unsigned int)'
>
> .../main.cc:8: undefined reference to `free(void*)'
>

> What am I missing here? Thanks!
>

> Amadeo
>

> ::::::::::::::
>
> main.cc
>
> ::::::::::::::
>
> #include <stdlib.h>
>

> #define N 10
>

> int main(void) {
>
>   int *v = (int *) malloc(N*sizeof(int));
>
>   for (int i=0; i<N; i++) v[i] = i;
>
>   free(v);
>
> }
>
> ::::::::::::::
>
> target.mk

> TARGET = foo
>
> SRC_CC = main.cc
>
> LIBS   = cxx env mini_c

> Colocation vs. Managed Hosting
> A question and answer guide to determining the best fit
> for your organization - today and in the future.
> http://p.sf.net/sfu/internap-sfd2d

Stefan Kalkowski