Problem in Genode building system?

Frank Kaiser frank.kaiser at ...24...
Wed Jun 8 10:39:44 CEST 2011

Hello, Norman

I didn't intend to specifically blame Genode for using MAKE. It is still widely used by the Open Souce community within big project (the Linux kernel, Android, ...). People have invested a lot of time in the build systems, and are therefore somewhat lazy to switch to another one despite existing drawbacks. And its popularity does not drive people looking for alternatives
MAKE is by no means a set-and-forget system. Its complexity has grown over the years, and there is a lot of magic in it to solve certain tasks. All this makes it difficult to comprehend what it can and cannot do. Maintenance of a big MAKE system can be a nightmare when you have to refactore a big project, where the original creators did spend much time about thinking how it may evolve.

Frank