set pager in foc

Chen Tian chen.tian at ...60...
Fri Jul 1 01:51:51 CEST 2011

Hi Stefan,

Thank you for the reply. I think I have understood most of it. What is still
confusing to me is "badge". Apparently there are two different badges. One
is defined in Capability node, which is essentially the label of the IPC
gate of a Pager object. It is also stored in
Pager_object::cap()::local_name() and is used by the pager thread to look up
the Pager_object from the pager entrypoint. I wonder if there is any
particular reason why the badge values cannot be consecutive numbers
(BADGE_MASK = ~3)? Also, why does the label returned from IPC call need to
perform " & ~3UL"? After reading the L4RE document, I don't think kernel
will make any change to this value.

The second badge is the one used in the Pager_object. It is defined as a cap
index selector of the native foc thread (rm_session_component.cc), but I
cannot see how this one is used in foc.

Best,
Chen

-----Original Message-----
From: Stefan Kalkowski [mailto:stefan.kalkowski at ...1...]
Sent: Thursday, June 30, 2011 4:29 AM
To: genode-main at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: set pager in foc

On 29.06.2011 23:00, Chen Tian wrote:
> Hi Stefan,
>
> So that means each Pager_object also has a corresponding Fiasco OC kernel
> object, which can do the IPC to the pager thread, right?

Hi Chen,

each Pager_object has an own IPC-gate (kernel-object) to the
pager-thread, the pager-thread thereby distinguishes different faulters
from each other.

> By looking at the
> cap_session_component.cc, I think the kernel object is essentially an
> IPC-gate to the pager thread, i.e., _pager_ep->activation. Can you briefly
> tell me how the ipc-gate works? I think I will spend some time on the
kernel
> later. Thanks a lot.

An IPC-gate is some kind of a thread's wrapper object. In addition to
the target thread object, you can assign a label to it, during its
creation. The label is received by the destination thread whenever IPC
is send through the IPC-gate. This label value cannot be altered by some
(remote) owner of the IPC-capability. Moreover, when owning the IPC-gate
you cannot e.g. destroy the corresponding thread (which you can do, if
you own the "real" thread capability), but only do IPC with it.

Regards
Stefan

> Best,
> Chen