Support for other (ARM) machines

Norman Feske norman.feske at ...1...
Tue Mar 2 11:45:27 CET 2010

Hi Thomas,

Thomas DuBuisson wrote:
> After getting Genode to build for GTA01 I'm now interested in getting
> a build running on hardware I have available (an OMAP3 / beagleboard
> based ARM system).  Are there notes somewhere on adding machine
> support to Genode or should I just study anywhere that mentions
> gumstix or GTA01?

the OKL4 version 2 that we use for GTA01 is pretty limited with regard
to recent ARM platforms. Please check the README file at the top-level
directory of the OKL4 archive for the list of supported platforms. The
more recent version 3 supports more platforms (yet still no Cortex-A8)
but it is not yet supported by Genode. I see two feasible ways to bring
Genode to the Beagle board:

The first approach would be to extend OKL4 to cover the OMAP3 chip set.
On the OKL4 mailing list, there was some activity regarding SoC support
for OMAP3 during last summer but I am not aware of any published results.

An alternative is checking the state of the Codezero kernel project.
Accoring to their road map at http://l4dev.org/news, support for
Cortex-A8 is in the pipe. It might be a good idea to get in touch with
the Codezero developers, and maybe lend a helping hand.

In both cases, platform-driver support must be added to Genode as well.
I'd be happy to assist you with that once we have a kernel that supports
OMAP3.