Configuring the TAP version of the HTTP server

Christian Helmuth christian.helmuth at ...1...
Mon Feb 22 10:07:24 CET 2010

Hello Peter,

On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 11:29:38AM +1030, Peter Nguyen wrote:
> Is anyone able to give me some pointers on how to set up the TAP version
> of the HTTP server? My knowledge on setting up such things is not that
> good. More specifically, I'm unsure as to what do for setting up the
> DHCP server step stated in the following link:
> http://genode.org/documentation/release-notes/9.02#section-4

I also discovered this deficiency in the documentation while writing a
section of the release notes for Genode 10.02. The information
regarding your question is:

  [...] Therefore, the device has to be configured prior to running
  Genode like the following.

  ! sudo tunctl -u $$USER -t tap0
  ! sudo ip link set tap0 up
  ! sudo ip address add 10.0.0.1/24 brd + dev tap0

  Give it a try with the lwIP example scenario. Please note that lwIP
  is configured for DHCP and does not assign a static IP configuration
  to its end of the wire. Hence, you should run a DHCP server on
  tap0, e.g.

  ! sudo /usr/sbin/dhcpd3 -d -f -cf /tmp/dhcpd.conf -pf /tmp/dhcpd.pid -lf /tmp/dhcpd.lease tap0

  An example 'dhcpd.conf' may look like

  ! subnet 10.0.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
  !   range 10.0.0.16 10.0.0.31;
  ! }

  The DHCP server's log will show you that the driver fakes an
  ethernet NIC with the MAC address 01:02:03:04:05:06.

Happy Hacking
--
Christian Helmuth