Split console with two keyboards

Christian Helmuth christian.helmuth at ...1...
Fri Oct 16 10:24:23 CEST 2009

Hello Shakthi,

On Fri, Oct 16, 2009 at 12:16:21AM +0530, Shakthi Kannan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to know if it is possible in any of the L4* systems to
> have a setup like the following:
>
> * The console (framebuffer) to be split into two frames/windows, say
> top and bottom halves, but, each one should be used/accessed
> independently of each other.
>
> * With two keyboards connected to this single system, one should be
> able to use (shell) one of the keyboards with the top window, while
> the other should use the bottom one.
>
> Appreciate any thoughts/inputs in this regard. Thanks!

I don't know of any L4-based system, which supports this setup
out-of-the-box. IMO Genode [1] and L4Env [2] have all you need to
build such a system on your own: PS/2 drivers, USB HID drivers, and
frame buffer console/GUI.

Both options implicate some hacking on your part as multi-head
scenarios were not addressed so far.

BTW, Genode seemlessly supports several L4 kernels, namely OKL4,
Fiasco, and Pistachio. That's a nice feature if you're not certain
which kernel fits your needs best and want to postpone the final
decision :-)

[1] http://www.genode.org
[2] http://www.inf.tu-dresden.de/index.php?node_id=1431

Christian Helmuth