Small TODO tasks at Genode project

Norman Feske norman.feske at ...1...
Tue Oct 6 15:46:11 CEST 2009

Hi Shakthi,

> 1. POSIX environment.
>
> I am just wondering how POSIX compliance, could possibly bring the
> concept of translators (as in Hurd) to Genode, or probably that exists
> already? Please clarify.
>
> http://www.bddebian.com/~hurd-web/hurd/translator/examples/

my proposal was not related to the POSIX environment topic but the
mentioned tar-based ROM service could certainly be useful in such a
context.

With POSIX enviroment, we mean an execution environment that enables us
to port existing plain Unix applications in an easy way to Genode. For
example, to make bash, gcc, and vim usable on Genode using a light-
weight execution container rather than a full-blown Linux instance
(e.g., OKLinux). We are not going the route to enhance Genode's base
mechanisms to make the framework POSIX compatible nor are we planning
to apply the everything-is-a-file metaphor to Genode. Our API
facilitates access to objects (using capabilities as references) rather
than operating on files. We will also not support functionality such as
'fork' natively on Genode because Genode provides a different mechanism
of process creation and resource accounting.

However, a Genode subsystem may provide such Unix-like abstractions
to its children without giving the children the ability to perform
native Genode operations (very similar to how L4Linux manages the
system calls of its Linux user-level processes). Such a container
would enable us to reuse existing Unix software in one or multiple
(isolated) POSIX execution containers. The design of such a container
is work in progress.

> ---
> | But as I said, please let us know more about your technical interests.
> | If you like to focus more on device drivers or other topics, there's
> | plenty of work to do as well. .-)
> \--
>
> Sure. This sounds good too. Do we have a list of required device
> drivers, or protocol stacks?

You asked for small tasks, so I haven't mentioned protocol-stack related
work. But because you just asked, it would be very cool to make the BSD
TCP/IP stack available to Genode. This TCP/IP stack seems to be very
portable because it is used in a number of non-BSD projects such
as QNX. But porting it is certainly not a small task. ;-)

Do you have particular interests in the one or the other feature of
Genode or do you have a concrete application of Genode in mind? If yes,
it would certainly make sense to gear your work towards a goal that is
useful for you personally.