Announcement: Genode OS Framework version 9.08 released

Norman Feske norman.feske at ...1...
Wed Aug 19 12:35:35 CEST 2009

The new release 9.08 of the Genode OS Framework is available. With
this release, we focused on replacing several interim solutions
with much improved new implementations. In particular, we want to
highlight the new synchronization mechanisms, the new timer service,
and our effort to unify former platform-specific code among all
kernel platforms supported by the framework. The major functional
additions of this release are the port of the dynamic linker from
FreeBSD, new core extensions for running Linux (Wombat) on top of
the OKL4 version of Genode, and the support for super pages on the
L4/Fiasco and L4ka::Pistachio kernels.

Release-notes summary for version 9.08
--------------------------------------

* Base framework
  * New lock implementation
  * New generic signalling mechanism
  * Added support for thread-local storage
* Core extension to run Linux on top of Genode on OKL4
* Operating-system services and libraries
  * Added shared-library support
  * Improved XML config handling
  * Optimized Nitpicker GUI server
  * New timer server
* Added support for super pages on L4/Fiasco and L4ka::Pistachio
* Added support for write-combined I/O access
* Unified startup code and linker scripts among all platforms
* Removed glibc dependency from the Linux version

You can find the complete release notes for the version 9.08 here:

  http://genode.org/documentation/release-notes/9.08/

The new release is available to the project's subversion repository
and at the Genode download page:

  http://genode.org/download/latest-release

Norman Feske
Genode Labs