Genode OS Framework version 8.11 released

Christian Helmuth christian.helmuth at ...1...
Fri Nov 21 13:49:48 CET 2008

We are pleased to announce the release 8.11 of the Genode OS
Framework. Beside many improvements of the base API, we aimed for
enabling real-world applications on top of Genode and introduced two
major features: C runtime and device-driver API. We regard the
presence of device drivers and a way to reuse existing library code as
fundamental prerequisites for achieving our goal of a widely
applicable OS framework.

Furthermore, we extended the base API by a number of exciting feature
such as support for asynchronous notifications, capability
typification, and managed dataspaces.

Release-notes summary for version 8.11
--------------------------------------

* Base API
  * Introduced typification of capabilities
  * Improved client-side connection handling
  * New semaphore
  * New API for asynchronous notifications
  * New region-manager fault handling
  * New managed dataspaces
  * Refined allocator interfaces
  * Refined interfaces to consistently use exceptions
* OS services and libraries
  * New framework called DDE kit for device drivers written in C
  * New alarm API for scheduling timed events
  * Improved PS/2 driver, supporting scan-code sets 1 and 2
  * Optimized output latency of the Nitpicker GUI server
* New C runtime ported from FreeBSD
* Applications
  * Double-buffering for scout widgets
  * New execute links for the scout tutorial browser
  * Unified handling of child processes among scout and launchpad
  * New default document "Walking through Genode" for scout
* Platform-specific changes
  * Linux: Dissolved dependency from glibc by introducing custom
    system-call bindings
  * L4/Fiasco: Implementation of RM faults, managed dataspaces
  * L4/Fiasco: Implementation of cancel-blocking mechanism

Learn more about all the new features and changes described in our
comprehensive release notes at our website

  http://genode.org/documentation/release-notes/8.11

Download the release 8.11 of the Genode OS Framework from

  http://genode.org/download/latest-release

Christian Helmuth
Genode Labs

http://www.genode-labs.com/ ยท http://genode.org/