First trouble with core

Julian Stecklina julian.stecklina at ...6...
Thu Aug 14 19:23:20 CEST 2008

Norman Feske <norman.feske at ...1...> writes:

> Hello Marc,
>
> thanks for the first real post on our mailing list! I am really
> happy that you are experimenting with our project.
>
>> I try genode on fiasco and encounter a strange problem in core
>> process. It seems that stack goes over heap.
>> Here is some explanation :
>> After a little while, init child thread from core (4.04) raises an
>> exception into Server_activation_base::entry at _curr_obj->unlock().
>> After some debugging, I saw that _curr_obj (at 0x647a4) is modified
>> during dispatch at a push assembler instruction. So, I guess, stack
>> goes over the heap, isn't it ?
>
> Indeed, the current version of Genode locates stacks in the heap,
> which is generally a bad idea because this makes it really hard
> to detect stack overflows. Hence, we plan to change the stack-
> allocation scheme for the next release.

Is it possible to use a guard page to detect stack overflow? Having a
way to implement guard pages using Bastei primitives would be nice for
some other projects I have in mind.

Regards,
--
Julian Stecklina

Well, take it from an old hand: the only reason it would be easier to
program in C is that you can't easily express complex problems in C,
so you don't. - Erik Naggum (in comp.lang.lisp)