First trouble with core

Norman Feske norman.feske at ...1...
Wed Aug 13 21:21:55 CEST 2008

Hello Marc,

thanks for the first real post on our mailing list! I am really
happy that you are experimenting with our project.

> I try genode on fiasco and encounter a strange problem in core
> process. It seems that stack goes over heap.
> Here is some explanation :
> After a little while, init child thread from core (4.04) raises an
> exception into Server_activation_base::entry at _curr_obj->unlock().
> After some debugging, I saw that _curr_obj (at 0x647a4) is modified
> during dispatch at a push assembler instruction. So, I guess, stack
> goes over the heap, isn't it ?

Indeed, the current version of Genode locates stacks in the heap,
which is generally a bad idea because this makes it really hard
to detect stack overflows. Hence, we plan to change the stack-
allocation scheme for the next release.

For solving your current problem, it would be helpful to be able
to reproduce it. How do you trigger the bug and how does your
config file look like? Could you provide us with the backtraces
of Core's threads?

Best regards